With the increase reported case’s of Lyme Disease, West Nile Encephalitis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Rabies and other diseases in this area, pests are proving not only to be a nuisance but a real health concern. With the large ammount of construction in this area we have come closer to wildlife and undeveloped areas, and the animals and pests that live there have found that our dwelling’s are a suitable environment for them to survive and breed.
Many healths related pests have made headlines because of their resurgence: Bed Bugs, Fleas, Ticks, Lice, Mosquitos, Flies, Roaches and these are only a few. Only a few short years ago these insects were simply thought to be something of a minor nuisance. But over the last few years most of these pests have made themselves famous, or rather infamous, by making their way on the news because of their potential to spread many diseases once thought to be under control.
There are many reasons why these pests have made a rebound, all of which may be correct. But one thing is still a constant. We at Hoffman’s Exterminating will use all our knowledge and experience to limit your risk to, and rid you of, these pests.
Some Possible Reasons for the Rise In Health Related Pests
- Faster international and costal importing and exporting of goods
- More international and coastal traveling of people
- A reduction in the use of pesticides over the years
- Wildlife migration has been change due to sprawling development
- New laws concerning trash recycling and deposal
- An increase in rain fall in different areas
- An increase in temperatures in different areas
- Insects and pests have become resistance to different pesticides
- Advanced medical research can now pin point an illness to a specific insect, parasite or disease
- A reduction of natural wildlife areas forces pests to come in closer contact with people
- An increase in exotic pests and plants brought into homes and business
- Migratory bird patterns have been altered
- This is not a complete list, but these are some of the most interesting topics that have been considered as possibilities
Pest and Their Potential Related Disease
Roaches – Linked to Allergies in children, Toxoplasmosis, diphtheria, tetanus, tuberculosis, diarrhea, and urinary tract infections.
Flies – Salmonella.
Mosquitoes –Malaria, Yellow Fever, Western Encephalitis, St. Louis Encephalitis, West Nile Encephalitis
Bed Bugs – Have not been determined to be a vector at this point, but are still a major suspect.
Fleas – Plaque, Typhus.
Ticks – Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
Lice –Typhus, Pediculosois.
Spiders, Bees and Stinging Insects – Their stings or bites can prove fatal to those allergic to the venom.
Beetles – Linked to allergies and respiratory conditions due to their hairs and dried skin cast being breathed in by people.
Rats and Mice – Plaque, also potential spread of fleas & ticks and cross contamination of food and water. Their bits and droppings can also can cause health related issues.