Home sharing is all the rage with popular website like Airbnb, HomeAway, FlipKey, and CouchSurfing. Many travelers use them to avoid the high cost of hotels and owners use them to make a little extra money. While this convenience is great and the home owners do go through screenings before being able to rent out part or all of their home, little is done to be able to regulate sanitation, safety, and pest standards as there would be in a fully licensed hotel. Many travelers don’t think about bringing home bugs from a host’s personal residence, and many hosts don’t think about their guests bringing them in!
Below find some of our tips to keep your home safe from bed bugs when sharing your space:
– Inform yourself about bed bugs and their habits, use accredited sources such as the CDC and EPA to learn from.
– Inspect your property frequently and after every guest (check out this page from the EPA https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/how-find-bed-bugs)
– De-clutter your shared space as much as possible, this gives bed bugs fewer places to hide
– Install bed bug moats/pitfalls/interceptors: these are special traps that go under the feet of the bed to trap bed bugs as the move to or away from the bed.
– Install Mattress Encasements & Active Guards on beds. Active guards are a mattress liner that act as a preventative solution against bed bugs and are used by Hoffman’s and many pest control companies as an important part of bed bug treatment plans.
– Fully vacuum rooms frequently to remove any hitchhikers that might be hiding out
If you are worried you might have unwanted guests in your home give Hoffman’s a call today for an inspection. We can also provide you with Active Guards and bed bug interceptors for all of your beds!